- Trek Duration
12 Days + –
Tea House Trek
- Max Altitude
- Trekkers Numbers
1-18 but Flexible
- Best Time of Year
Spring and Autumn
- Trek Difficulty
- Price: 580 + –
Overview of the Langtang Family Trek
Langtang family trek is one of the easiest and the best trek routes for you and your family if you are looking to go on a family trek in Nepal. The Langtang family trek goes to the Langtang valley to see one of the most spectacular views of the Himalayas located in the north of the Kathmandu valley. The Langtang trek is full of beautiful scenery, amazing and authentic local cultures, indigenous Tamang people and their lifestyles and the Langtang Himalayan range. Langtang family trek should be very good for you if you are looking to do some nature holidays in Nepal with your kids or parents. The 8-10 days long itinerary can be customized as per your needs and taste. As the trek is less popular than Everest base camp trek, Annapurna circuit trek or Annapurna base camp trek, trekkers can enjoy their time with their family without crowds.
Langtang family trek is one of the tops liked trek by the trekkers and most of the trekkers say it should not be missed if you are doing the trek in Nepal. The short trek starts at Syabrubesi which is 123 Km drive from Kathmandu. The drive offers a spectacular view of the countryside of the Rasuwa and Nuwakot District. The road to Syabrubesi is under construction so there is a dusty road. Once you are in Syabrubesi you will leave the Syabrubesi and trek to the north side of the valley through the Langtang River. Further 6-7 days you would spend in the periphery of the Langtang river valley. The trek passes through the dense alpine forest filled with the oak and Himalayan trees. The trek becomes more beautiful as you get closer to the Langtang village and the mountains appear ahead of you. Langtang Lirung (7,246m), Langtang II/Ghenge Liru (6,581m), Kimshung (6,781m) mountains are perfectly visible from the Langtang village. Kyanjin Gompa is your next and final destination. Sky touching mountains are around the Kyanjin Gompa village. Normally trekkers spend 2 nights in kyanjin because they have to go either Kyanjin RI or Tserko RI from where you can see the splendid view of the Langtang lirung 7,234 M, Langtang RI 7,205 M, Dorje Lakpa 6,966 M, Loenpo Gang 6,907 M, Changbu 6,781 M, Gangchenpo 6,387 M, Morimoto 6,150 M, Yala peak 5,520 M and many other high mountains. The colourful rhododendron which blooms on the forest of the Langtang valley is another attraction of the trek.
Is it good to do Langtang family trek
Here are some reason why it is good to do Langtang Valley Trek
- First of all if you are on vacation with your family then you should look for a good destination where there are less tourists. Langtang trek gets less tourists so you can enjoy your vacations in peaceful areas.
- The trek goes high below 4000 meters till kyanjin gompa and it is not that hard to go there. That is the reason it is very good for your children and parents as well. Slowly, slowly you can do this trek and there is less chance of altitude.
- Langtang national park is home to wildlife and flora. There are many species of trees in the national park and some rare animals. It is the house of the wild red panda and Himalayan that you can also see enough deers and monkey during your trek to the Langtang valley.
- If you go to Langtang during the spring season, you would be very glad to see the colourful rhododendron that blooms on the side of the trekking trails.
- The indigenous Tamang people welcome you by heart so you would be very glad doing the Langtang Family Trek.
- You can see the splendid view of the Langtang Himalayan range which is around 7000 Meters. On your Nepal family trek, you can see the Langtang Lirung, Langtang Lirung II and many other snowcapped peaks.
What is the best season for Langtang Family trek
Trek to Langtang valley is not always good. What we mean is that you need some specific season to get the best experience on your Langtang Family trek. We have described two seasons here, doing the trek on those seasons you get the best experience.
1. Autumn Seasons
Autumn season is the best season to trek in Nepal. Thousands of the trekkers trek Nepal’s Himalaya on this time. The weather always remains very clear. Visibility is very strong so you can see the mountains very clearly and the weather remains good almost all day. There is less chance of rainfall this time. Nepalese people celebrate the two biggest festivals of this season so you can enjoy your Nepal vacations.
2. Spring Seasons
Spring season is one of the best seasons in Nepal for trekking after the Autumn season. March, April and May are the months, during those months you would be able to see the very stunning view of the mountains because the visibility is very good. There is less chance of the rainfall and clouds on the mountains. The trekking trails get so many types of rhododendron which increase the charms of the trek. If you do the Langtang family trek on this time you will get the maximum pleasure and best experience.
3. Monsoon seasons
Rainfall happens most of the time. Leeches, landslides, floods are very common at this time. You can not see the mountains because the fogs block the mountains.
4. Winter season
Cold and foggy weather. Snowfall may occur often and you can not see the view clearly during this season. Not recommended season for the trek.
2015 earthquake in langtang
In 2015 April there was a 7.8-magnitude earthquake in Nepal. It was started from Barpak Gorkha then went around 16 districts of Nepal. The mountains were moving, that is the reason the big landslides fell down from the Langtang Lirung over the Langtang village and swept the Langtang village almost completely. This was the biggest tragedy of Nepal. The glaciers fell down from above the mountains and the air generated from the landslides damaged the forest around the valley. You can still see massive earthquakes full of massive stones. The ice melted away. So many locals died and lost their families. People of the Langtang village have rebuilt the village again but it needs the support from tourists like you so the Langtang is waiting to serve you. That is another reason you should do the Langtang Family Trek.
Langtang family trek preparations
Travelling with family needs some preparations before you travel. The plan makes travel more realistic and more enjoyable. Planning a Langtang family trek needs some attention that you need to think about. While you are in your country you have to make a good plan that is suitable for your family holidays in Nepal. We have here given you some suggestions which might be good for you.
- Trekking to Langtang valley is best for a certain season. Spring and autumn are the best to trek in Langtang valley. See above which time is the best time to visit Nepal
- Traveling with a family requires some preparation, if you are coming with the kids or senior citizens then you have to do some preparations regarding your Langtang family trek.
- Make a realistic plan and put some more days in extra so than you can avoid the uncertainty and if you are doing some trek then please read the Nepal trek grade too.
- proper gear and equipment are very important which makes your trek easier and successful so read more about the gear list
- Altitude mountain sickness is a common problem that you may face while you are in the mountains and it might happen with anyone so please read and gain some knowledge regarding Altitude mountain sickness
Langatng family trek tips
Nepal trek hub suggest you some points which will be tips for your Langtang Family Trek
- Put some extra days on your travel plan so that you can customize your days if your family travel members want to stay longer.
- Below we have given an itinerary which is for Langtang Family trek, Depending on your wish you can modify, make it longer or shorter as per you want.
- Be open, if you are travelling with kids or your parents then you have to state everything prior so that we can manage the best holidays for you.
- Choose the good one for you as your family strength, if you like to take the suggestions of us then we can suggest to you.
langtang family trek itinerary
Langtang family trek itinerary is mentioned here below and it is customizeable
- Day 01: Arrive at Tribhuvan International Airport Kathmandu
Nepal trek hub team will pick up you from the Airport. You will be now with us for the next 10 days and it is our responsibility to give you the guidance and security. Together we will drive to your hotel in Kathmandu then we give you a briefing regarding your Langtang Family trek. We also suggest you add or less your stuff for the trekking. We will also help you to arrange the further gear and equipment for your trek.
- Day 02: Drive from Kathmandu to Syabru Bensi (1462m/4795ft) Duration: 7-8 Hours
Your Langtang family trek begins from Syabrubesi which is 123 Km drive from Kathmandu and takes about 7-8 hours by driving. We suggest you go to Syabrubesi by hiring the private jeep which is comfortable for you. You will drive through the bank of the Trisuli river to reach the Syabrubesi and see the different villages and landscape. The landscape is filled with green forest and the farmers land. Once you reach Syabrubesi you will stay in the Guest House.
- Day 03: Trek from Syabru Bensi to Lama Hotel (2500m/8200ft) Duration: 5 Hours
The first of your Langtang trek and you might be a little bit slow or somehow you may feel difficult to start but don’t worry we are with you. We will take breakfast then start the hike which first goes to the checkpoint where nearby there one suspension bridge appears. Crossing the suspension bridge we follow the Langtang River to move to lama hotel. Often you have to cross the river till the Renjam. From Renjam the trails go parallel to the Langtang river until the bamboo with ups and downs. The trail slowly goes higher. Crossing the bridge after walking 30 minutes from Bamboo you will start to climb. The trail climbs slowly to the Lama Hotel. During your hike, you may see some wild animals on the trails. You may also see the rhododendron forests on the way to Lama Hotel. Stay overnight here in Lama hotel.
- Day 04: Lama Hotel to Langtang Village (3500 Meter) Duration: 6 Hours
Your guide will set up the plan to wake up early in the morning to take breakfast. Heaving breakfast you will start the trek through the dense oak forest. The trails today climb the forest trails through the bank of the river. You will often see the mountain views from the forest and as you got closer to the GhodaTabela the valley becomes wider. You can see the Langtang range Langtang lirung from here very clearly. You will do lunch at the appropriate time and place which the guide will tell you about the previous night before your trek. Now the trails become easier as you can see the Langtang village clearly. Before Langtang village, there were the biggest landslides which had fallen after the earthquake of 2015. Stay in the Langtang village.
- Day 05: Langtang Village to Kyanjing Gompa (3798m/12495ft) Duration: 3 Hours
Wake up early morning for a spectacular view and have breakfast before you start the trek to Kyanjin Gompa. We have a very easy hike today because there is no more climbing like we had from lama hotel to Ghoda Tabela. Following the Langtang river the trails are along with. You can see the countless yaks and their calves grazing on the field. You may also see the stunning view of the Himalayas on the way to Kyanjin Gompa. The 3 hours hike takes you to the Langtang Kyanjin Gompa village.
- Day 06: Day Hike to the Chorkari Ri (5050m/16564ft) Duration: 7 Hours
After being ready at 5:00 am and doing breakfast.we set up our mission to go to the top of Chorka Ri. It will be a long climb through the hill ridge. As you climb more high the more beautiful view of Himalaya you can see. The hikes ultimately take you to the top from where you can see the spectacular view of the Langtang Lirung, Langshisha Ri, Gyanghempo, Ganjala, and Naya Kang and many more peaks. There are uncountable peaks that you can see from the top including the big Kharkas where yak grazes. You can also see the glaciers on the bottom of the peaks.
- Day 07: Kyanjin Gompa- Lama Hotel
The descent down to Lama Hotel is quite harder because you are going descents and your legs may hurt because of the continuous down. We give you enough time so you can trek slowly to Lama hotel which will be relaxing for you. You will cross the two days hike in one day.
- Day 08: Lama Hotel to Syabru Bensi
We will make our way from Lama Hotel to Syabru Bensi. This will be another easy trek downwards of about 5-6 hours. However, make sure to enjoy the view along the way.
- Day 09:Drive Back to Kathmandu
- Day 10:Departure
- Day 12: Extra day if incase delay on trek or want to exptent the holidays
Langtang trek cost includes
- Kathmandu international airport transfer by private vehicles.
- 2 night’s twin sharing on tourist standard accommodation in Kathmandu
- Meals on full board: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner each day during the trekking days
- Guest house basis trekking accommodation while on trekking days
- Local bus transfer
- Fully escorted trek with fluent English speaking license holder local guide and each 2 guest 1 Porter basis
- Langtang National park permits
- Seasonal Fruits if possible
- First Aid Box
- TIMS Permit
- All land transportation as per written on above itinerary
- Food and accommodation and salary of Nepali trekking staffs
- Nepal entry visa fee cost US$ 40.
- Private Jeep from Kathmandu to Syaabrubensi and Syabrubensi to Kathmandu
- Lunch and Dinner during the staying in Kathmandu and Pokhara city.
- Any kinds of battery charges, laundry service, phone calls and hot shower during the trekking.
- Personal trekking equipment and Clothing.
- Personal nature expenses, any drinks and bar bills.
- Your travel insurance (it is mandatory in case of emergency).
- Any donation and monuments entrance fees.
- Tips for the crew (Note : TIPS is not compulsory but highly expected)
- Any other things which are not mentioned above
Shreeram is a local in Kathmandu and we were so lucky to come across his whatsapp number online. We spent a long time looking up different treks that were all ridiculously overpriced and organised by bigger tour companies outside of Nepal (mainly from USA and all $800-$1500USD/Person).. Once we had Shreerams details, we were able to communicate with him directly over 2 weeks whilst we were still travelling India. He answered all the questions we had about the different treks, our budget and timeframe. No money was exchanged before meeting with him, everything was priced reasonably and he helped us get our gear sorted and phones set up before we left – you can rent trekking gear and it’s cheaper if you are with a local. Very organised and great service.
Now for our guide and porter. Sabin was our guide and spoke very good English (regardless of what he thinks haha). He’s very considerate of other people and knowledgable about his country and the treks all around. He’s from a town close by to the Langtang valley trek and gave us a lot of information about the area, before and after the devastating earthquake in 2015. He treks with ease and will take care of you if you are unwell or injured – recieved massages on rest breaks for my injured leg and he offered to take my bag on numerous occasions.
Des was our porter. He carried everything we couldn’t fit in our day bags, which was more than we’d wanted him to carry. He honestly still could’ve trekked in half the amount of time if he wanted to, he is so fast. Des doesn’t speak much English but he is smiling every step of the way and even broke into dance when he’d manage to get ahead of us and have a rest.
The langtang valley trek itself was amazing. It was hard because I injured myself but the overall experience made it worth it. There is such a mix of trekkers on this trail, it’s really motivating. From families to a group of birdwatchers in their 60’s and 70’s, it really is a trek for everyone as long as you can go at your own pace. With Shreeram’s tour, we went as fast or slow as we wished and enjoyed it so much more than if we were in a big group.
Response from Nepal Trek Hub
Thank you so much for your appreciation of Our Service. It is our honour to serve you and we look forward to seeing you again in Nepal
Nepal Trek Hub
Langtang Valley Trek 2023
The first thought that comes to your mind when you opt for a local trekking company in Nepal is “Are they authentic?” Nepal Trek Hub’s Sriram is a gem. From the moment we landed in Kathmandu, he was there to help us. Well, that’s what promised too.
He understood our needs and accommodated us with ease. From
the duffel bag to the portable water filter which is quite pricey were all taken care of by him. Even the internet!
Everyday we had a plate of fruits which tasted exactly the same( this is not possible because we were moving from one place to another). I kept wondering how does Sriram find fresh fruits everyday? And they taste the same too? Only later I found out, he was carrying kilos of fruits in his backpack!!!! Oh! How grateful we were for the fruits! On some days the food didn’t suit out palette or stomach and the fruits were the only source of nutrition and energy.
He made sure each of ( we were a party of 3) had someone ( either him or our porters) were with us all the time.
I have to mention our porters Bijay and Ram. Wonderful people, awesome patience.
They made sure were reached the summit despite certain issues. The experience was a ‘ hug’ worthy!
We had to return back via chopper due to certain reasons, he was ready to help
and arranged for the chopper. Though we had booked our own hotel rooms, due to our early descent, we had to find new accommodations and that itself was a task. Once again Sriram was there to the rescue.
He was with us every step of the way and even after we had all come back home. We had missed a cap in the taxi on our way to the airport. Sriram made an effort to find it and courier is back to us. It was just a cap! Now that is the level of care and dedication this guy has towards his guests.
With Sriram and Nepal Trek Hub, I would climb the Himalayas any day without doubt or fear.
Response from Nepal Trek Hub
thank you so much for your great appreciations of the service
Frequently asked question Regarding Langtang family trek faq
Here, we have mentioned some question regarding Langtang family trek faq, that are asked by frequent hikers/traveler. However, if it still does not satisfy your question please ask question to us
When is the best season to do Langatng family trek?
October to November is best season to do langtang trek. In this time the weather is very good, very rear chance of the rainfall, Sky remains clear whole day so you can see mountain very clearly. The second best season is March and April because this time The rhododendron flower blooms in the trekking trails. The weather is very good on this time and there is less chance of the rainfalls.
How long we have to walk per day, and how difficult it is?
hikers need to walk 6-7 hours during the trek days. It is not that very difficult but you need to climb stairs often. Hiking to view points is quite harder
What kind of accommodation do we get on Langtang Family trek
These are tea houses, very basic sometimes you get attached bathroom too but it is not that luxurious however you can adjust it.
Is there WIFI service in Langtang Trek
Most of the tea house have already set up wifi but this wifi are so slow, in some place you won’t find wifi.
Is there Hot Shower during the trek?
Yes, Tea house provide hot shower, some time solar some time Gas Shower as well, they charge you per shower, per head.
Read Our Review
Why with us
Emphasis on the personal and customize itinerary, You can design your own personal tailored made holiday
Team of local expert guides, customer-focused, grassroots foundation with in-depth knowledge of Nepal.
Pay a fair salary to our team of reliable and experienced people
Guarantee of best value for money, best price and no hidden costs are implicit
Care for each of you individually, providing uncompromising service just for you.
Sensative about environment, we encourage our client’s to avoid mineral water, instead of this drink the own purified water and use chlorine tablet
Nepal Trek Hub has a 90% repeated customer, check our tripadvisior page