Gokyo Lake trek commonly known as Gokyo valley trek and gokyo ri trek among the trekkers. This is An alternative trek route of busiest Everest base camp trek has the same charm as Everest base camp trekking. With an exceptional view of gigantic Himalayan ranges over 8000m including the highest Mt. Everest, Cho Oyu, Lhotse, Makalu from Gokyo RI 5,357 Meter. Biggest glacier of Nepal Ngozumpa Glacier is perfectly seen from view-point. This part of Himalayas is in Sagarmatha National Park one of the UNESCO world heritage sites where there are world’s highest peaks and other flora and fauna.
The superb Trek Gokyo lake begins from down to the Dudh Koshi River. The Dudh Koshi river is from the Everest range Himalayas. The route from here to above up to Namche is absolutely marvellous with mesmerizing vistas of Ama Dablam ( 6856m), Thamserku (6608m) and many other peaks. The pristine pine forest along the way are the traveller companion. Namche a big settlement in Khumbu region with a lot of hotels and lodges for the traveller. Generally, all the trekkers do rest here for acclimatization because you are already 3440 meters. Staying here and looking around is another best experience for you. Until Namche, you would see many tourists because this is also the same way to go Everest base camp trek.
Continuing the trek through the villages of Phortse Tenga (3,700 meters), Dole (4,200 meters), Machhermo (4,500 meters) and Gokyo (4,800) which takes trekkers to the final destination. Trekking through such village, you will see the mountain slopes are partly covered by rhododendron, papery trunks of silver birch trees. Many waterfalls that jump down from mountains fade a trekkers tiredness. When you are here on Gokyo, you go to Gokyo RI 5,357 M next day early in the morning, Standing on Gokyo Ri you can see Mt. Everest, Cho Oyu, Lhotse, Makalu and many other sky-touching peaks. This is an awesome real trek experience in-terms of scenery, nature, culture, people and other components.
Gokyo lake trek difficulty is a moderate trek which means you do need to climb around 6-7 hours each day below 5000 meter. Trekking to Gokyo lake does not need big strength of physical fitness.
Gokyo Lake trek map usually a map of Everest has the map of Gokyo lake as well. This map is very helpful and tells you where you are heading at which altitude, even though the guide tells you the things. But heaving map is always beneficial.
Nepal trek hub offers gokyo lake trek 13 days from arrival to departure is best opportunity to see khumbu Himalayan range beauty and the unique culture it has. We assure to take your responsibility and show you around the Himalayas.
Gokyo lake trek highlights
- Gokyo lake trek how many days: As you trek very relaxing way, this gokyo lake trek is 11 Days from Kathmandu to Kathmandu and 10 Days trek from Lukla to Lukla. All in all you need 13 Days to do this Gokyo ri trek
- Gokyo Lake Trek: Often people call it gokyo valley trek or gokyo ri trek because at the end of your trek in Gokyo, There is a gokyo lake. A lake made from the Glacier water, which is in the Gokyo valley so this is gokyo lake trek. There are multiple lakes, Gokyo Lakes are actually made up of six bodies of water, or lakes, elevated at an altitude of 4,700 to 5,000m in the Gokyo Valley in Sagarmatha National Park
- Gokyo lake Trek: Gokyo Peak trek or Gokyo Ri trek is the same name for a view point which is at a 5,357 m. Gokyo ri located on the west side of the Ngozumpa glacier, which is the largest glacier in Nepal and reputed to be the largest in the whole Himalayas. Gokyo (4,750 m, 15,583 ft above sea level), at the base of Gokyo Ri, is a small hamlet of a few stone houses and one of the highest settlements in the world. From Gokyo Ri it is possible to see four 8,000-metre peaks: Mount Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, and Cho Oyu.
- Gokyo lake trek height: The Maximum height, you will be here on this trek is on the top of Gokyo Ri 5,357 Meter, You will start your trek from 2800 Meter lukla then 3500 Meter Namche, so you will be acclimatize enough while you trek to Gokyo Valley
- Trek difficulty grade: Strenuous trek, this kind of trekking is about above 5000 meter elevation, in this trek you will not stay in above that altitude but you will be at the 5,357 Meter height. 6-7 hours walking each day is required on this trek, sometimes specially in winter time the trail becomes very technical due to ice frozen. Find out
- Best time to Gokyo lake trek: Like other treks of Nepal, 2 season is very good to trek here. The first is September end to November end Then we have second is March, April and may which is another second best season. You need to find out which is the best time to trek in Nepal
- Gokyo lake Trek fixed departure: We can not give the grantee that we always have fixed departure for Gokyo lake Trek. Nepal Trek Hub can offer you this trip anytime of the year. Even if we don’t have a fixed departure group we can send you individually at same price. This is very good to you and you can enjoy yourself with your time and peace. There is no reason to rush due to other people, you will have customized itinerary.
- Trek equipment list : Normally you need trekking stuff for this trek. We suggest you to see the Packing list and still if you have question you can inquiry us to Know about the list. We provide the complete information as fast as we can
- Rucksack/Duffel bag: Carrying your trek luggage while you go to Gokyo Valley trek, you should bring a rucksack or duffel bag with you, which will carry by your porter. Please bring the rain cover to protect rain or dust. Usually porter don’t have protection cover for bag
- Transportation of Gokyo lake trek: Kathmandu to Lukla You take the flight. We generally says that the flight is from Kathmandu, due to air traffic in Kathmandu sometimes airport also fix your flight from Ramechap. The flight cost are similar but you will charge any amount for transportation. If you fly from kathmandu then you will have airport transfer by private vehicle.
Gokyo lake trek itinerary
|Day 1||Arrival in Kathmandu||1400 m / 4593 ft|
|Day 2||Kathmandu to Lukla then Phakding||2651 m / 8697 ft||3 – 4 hr|
|Day 3||Namche Bazaar||3438 m / 11279 ft||5 – 6 hr|
|Day 4||Acclimatization day||3700 m / 12139 ft||5 hr|
|Day 5||Dole||3680 m / 12073 ft||5 – 6 hr|
|Day 6||Machhermo||4470 m / 14665 ft||4 hr|
|Day 7||Trek to Gokyo||4800 m / 15748 ft||4 hr|
|Day 8||Hike to Gokyo Ri||5,357 m / 17575 ft||4 hr|
|Day 9||Gokyo to Dole||4110 m / 13484 ft||6 – 7 hr|
|Day 10||Trek to Namche Bazaar||3438 m / 11279 ft||5 – 6 hr|
|Day 11||Trek to Lukla||2860 m / 9383 ft||7 – 8 hr|
|Day 12||Kathmandu||1380 m / 4527 ft||40 min|
Trek cost includes
- Airport Pick up and drop service
- 2 night’s twin sharing on tourist standard hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
- Kathmandu – Lukla – Kathmandu flight to Guest and Guide
- Meals on full board: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner each day during the trekking days
- tea house basis trekking accommodation while on trekking days
- Fully escorted trek with fluent English speaking license holder local guide and each 2 guest 1 Porter basis
- TIMS Permits
- First Aid Box
- Everest National Park Permit
- Food and accommodation and salary of Nepali trekking staffs
- Any meal in Kathmandu
- Any kinds of battery charges, wifi charge, laundry service, phone calls and hot shower during the trekking.
- Personal trekking equipment and Clothing.
- Personal nature expenses, any drinks and bar bills.(tea, coffe, water, beer, alcohol, wine)
- Your travel insurance (it is mandatory in case of emergency).
- Any donation and monuments entrance fees.
- Tips for the crew (Note : TIPS is not compulsory but highly expected)
- Any other things which are not mentioned above
Gokyo lake trek FAQ
Most of the trekker get’s the too many question before they start the trek. Here we have mentioned some question, and their answer.
There are 2 best season to trek in Nepal. The first best season of trek here is September to November. The second best season is March – April to trek in Nepal. Because this both season the weather is very nice and clear. You can see the magnificent view of Mountain. The first season September end to November end is best due to post monsoon when there is sunny and Crystal clear weather
Here we have mentioned 13 Days trip from Kathmandu to Kathmandu departure, Which means you will spend 2 days in Kathmandu, 10 Days total trek. Longer or shorter itinerary can be made after seeing your time.
There are basic tea houses in the trekking trail in Gokyo valley region. They provide a good room and comfortable bed in standard of Nepal trek. For hot shower, they provide a bucket hot shower to the guest by charging some money or some place they do have a bathroom with solar.
Yes, There is WIFI service in most of the guest houses. Recharge card you need to buy for the WIFI. Speed of the WIFI is not that good but it is ok to connect with your family and friends
plenty of hotels are in the route. When there is main season the room might get packed often, and you need to adjust with this. Room sharing is common in this route if you are in odd number person. sometimes the guest house might be full so you need to be very careful. if you can reach earlier would be always good to you. if you are with us we manage everything to you.
Yes, There is a availability of Mineral water, every tea houses. It is always not good to drink the mineral water, first it is quite costly to traveler, secondly it is damaging the Eco-system, the water company using a lot of plastic bottles. In a mountain mineral water bottle are a real threat to the environment. We can use the water purifier or water purification tablet and become a responsible traveler
If you make the accent to Gokyo Ri 5357 meter, this is the highest elevation of this trek, No other place higher than this. If you go to Everest base camp from here then kalapathar is the highest point 5643 Meter.
Sagarmatha National Park permit and Khumbu Rural Municipality permit are required, which you will get on the way of your trek, you are required to bring your passport a long with you.
If the child can walk for 6-7 hours, then you can trek with child too. otherwise you need to extend your trek days
Read Our Review
Gokyo lake trek facts
- Duration:13 Days
- Accommodation: Tea House
- MealsB,L,D, A
- Max Height5,357 Meter
- Group-Size1-18 Person
Contact us for this trip
Why Nepal Trek Hub
We Emphasis on the personal and customize itinerary, You can design your own personal tailored made holiday
We are a local Small agency, customer-focused, grassroots foundation with in-depth knowledge of Nepal.
We pay a fair salary to our team of reliable and experienced people
We give guarantee of best value for money, best price and no hidden costs are implicit
We care for each of you individually, providing uncompromising service just for you.
We also care about environment, we encourage our client’s to avoid mineral water, instead of this drink the own purified water and use chlorine tablet
We have a 100% repeated customer, check our tripadvisior page
Local guide owned company
Why you like this?
Splendid, Thrilling and scenic flight to Lukla from Kathmandu.
Very perfect view of Everest Himalayan Range from Everest view hotel
You can see the tallest peak such as Mt.Everest, Mt.Makalu, Mt.Lhotse, Mt.Choyou and many other mountains from Gokyo Ri
Friendly and very hospitable sherpa people and their amazing sherpa cultutre
Exploration of Thame monastery hidden valley and Buddhism practicing
Climbing to Gokyo Ri at the elevation of 5,483 m, to see the view